Saturday, April 3, 2010

Black, White & Red "Happy Birthday" Card -- Caardvarks "Lacy Days" Challenge & Polka Doodles Week 12 Challenge Entries!

Hello again! My Mom needed a birthday card for an old friend and I needed a card to enter in both the Caardvarks "Lacy Days" Challenge and Polka Doodles' Week 12 Challenge! I think it worked out very well if you ask me (smile) and brings my Spring Self Challenge Project count up to #28 of 30! :) If you'd like to see the other projects I created for my Spring Self Challenge, check out the label "Spring Self Challenge" listed in my sidebar.
On to the Challenges and the Project! The Caardvarks Challenge required us to use lace on a *new* stamped project. Not only is this a new creation, I used a brand new butterfly stamp too! :) The Polka Doodles Week 12 Challenge was to create a project based on the following sketch...
Ahh, but there is a catch! We were only to use Black and White and ONE other color! One of my all time fave color combos is Black & Red so I threw in the White and was all set to go! Here's what I came up with...
I used my Cuttlebug Flowery Embossing Folder in my new Sizzix Texture Boutique (LOVE IT btw!!) on the black background and paired it with a bright red mat. I stamped my butterfly using White Pearl Pigment Ink and brushed Perfect Pearls in "Perfect Pearl" over it to add a pearly white finish. I cut out the white oval using and embossed it with the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder for another texture. I stamped my "Happy Birthday" Sentiment using Black Pigment Ink and Distressed the edges with the same ink. I distressed the edges of the red mat and popped them together.
I added some White Pearl stickles to the edges of the butterfly oval and drew in the dotted border with a white opaque pen. I added ribbon this great B&W polka dotted ribbon along with some pretty red lace to the base of my card and then began assembling!
I added some mini black pearls to the corners of my sentiment and layered pretty red and red printed flowers to create my three smaller objects alont the side of my butterfly oval. I used plain black brads on two of the flower clusters and a B&W Flower brad on the middle flower.Lastly, I popped everything up using pop dots and added my little B&W polka dotted bow with a glue dot. I tied a little red button with White linen thread to the middle of my polka dotted bow. Too cute! Once everything was assembled my card was finished! I left the inside blank (weird for me, I know!) so my Mom can choose what she wants inside (ie: blank, poem, etc.). This card was fun and easy to create so I'm thinking I will be using this card as a template for future creations!
Ok, so let's double check the challenge requirements...
  1. Use lace on your card, Check!
  2. Create a *new* stamped card, Check!
  1. Use the sketch, Check!
  2. Use Black, White and ONE other color, Check!

Seems like I covered all my bases! Time to do a little "Easter Bunny-ing" and a little baking before bed! Hope you all have a great Easter and are fortunate enough to spend some time with your family and/or friends.

Thanks for looking!
*Hugs, JennRo*

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along at Polkadoodles this week! Very Striking card - love it! Cheers Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the black and red and the butterfly is just gorgeous. Don't forget to pick out your CD from the Easter bunny contest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card!! Thanks for entering the Polkadoodle Challenge - hope you can join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! You can't go wrong with red and white and black - one of my favorite color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very striking card jennifer ! beautiful , love the butterfly !

    maddy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving love! Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can come visit! *Hugs*